Thursday, June 28, 2012

It's A DIY Summer


Just DO-IT-YOURSELF!
This summer is definitely all about Do-It-Yourself when it comes to fashion and style.  People are finding all kinds of ways to reconstruct, revamp, and create so many unique clothes, accessories, and even shoes!  Popular summer DIY projects include fringing, distressing, bleaching, dying, painting, and cutting old or thrifted items into something completely eye-catching and fresh.  Many people have started businesses selling their DIY items while some just do for personal satisfaction. Either way, DIY is a great creative outlet for the summer and its the perfect season to experiment with your style. 

Read more to check out some AMAZING DIYers and their creations!


Featured DIYers!

Tracie Josephine of Flying Giraffe!
Twitter: @TracieJosephine/@VintageGiraffe
Instagram: TracieJosephine/FlyGiraffe
Why do you DIY?!: "I DIY for fun! To be creative/spontaneous for a challenge :)"

Tracie sells her custom-made creations on her website! Check it out!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet Megan Faith!

Contact:  Megan.Tate13@gmail.com
Why do you DIY?!:  I DIY because it's fun! I love art; I draw, paint, sculpt, etc. I basically just love to make things that look cool! In my college years I've added altering my clothes as something creative I love to do! Howard University is fashion central, and it's really inspired me to come up with great ideas for my own style. I feel that I can make the majority of the things I see in stores or online for cheaper, and have a personalized outfit as an outcome. I make clothes for myself, and for my friends as well, but I haven't started selling the clothes I design just yet!

Check out Megan's amazing DIY creations!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

London Zhiloh Presents Ezhik

CREATE.EXPLORE.IMAGINE

Website: http://www.londonzhiloh.com & http://www.donibe.com (to purchase)
Contact: londonzhiloh@yahoo.com
Twitter: @TheRealZhiloh
Facebook: London Zhiloh
Tumblr: http://www.londonzhiloh.tumblr.com
Instagram: londonzhiloh
Why do you DIY?!: "Ezhik™ by London Zhiloh is inspired to create. Ezhik™ wear is how I choose to share my energy via my style with those who are interested.  My goal is to reinvent the old by creating my own stylish, chic and unique look, also motivated to explore.  Taking pictures and writins is how I choose to share my energy via my ability to be many people in many places within myself & behind the lense."


 



Here are some helpful tips for your own DIY projects:

1. Have an open workspace. If you're dealing with bleach, it's recommended to complete your project in highly ventilated area like a deck, patio, or just outside in general. The fumes are very strong and can easily make you nauseous if you're in an enclosed area and you don't want to ruin your floor or carpet with bleach and dyes either!

2. Cover your area. Wherever your project is, it will be helpful to put some type of plastic like a tarp or trash bag on the floor of your workspace to catch any spills if you're working with dyes, bleach, paint, etc... Even if you're outside, you should cover your area so the chemicals you're using don't damage the environment around you.

3. Protect yourself. DIY projects are fun but you still want to make sure you protect yourself from chemicals or anything else with the potential to harm you or ruin your clothes.  Gloves are always recommended when using bleach and dyes so your skin isn't harmed or the same color as your project when you're done.  Bleach especially is very strong and can eat away at your nails and skin if your hands are in contact for too long! I also recommend wearing an apron or old clothes that you don't mind getting messy while doing your project.

4. Spend Less.  When doing a DIY project, especially for the first time, you don't want to risk messing up an item of clothing you really like for the sake of experimentation.  Try your DIY project on something old you may not wear anymore and give it new life! You can also find great items like high-waisted jeans, cool tees, and other items you can cut, distress, bleach, dye, etc... at the thrift store for a super low price! Another option is to buy packs of items like t-shirts and trying a different technique on each shirt for totally different looks!

5. Don't Give Up! If you find that your DIY project isn't coming out how you expected, do not be discouraged! One thing you can do is throw your project in the washing machine! It's amazing how the washing machine can put the perfect distressing on a freshly cut pair of shorts, shirts, etc.  Just remember to wash your project BY ITSELF to avoid ruining other clothes with dye and bleach.  If you're still not confident in your DIY abilities, search tutorials for your specific project for dying, reconstructing, and distressing techniques and save money by getting items to DIY from the thrift so it won't be too much of a loss if your first project is a bust.

**Helpful Tools: gloves, scissors, plastic/tarp, box cutter/fabric knife, tweezers (for advanced distressing), buckets/large containers, rubberbands (for dying and bleaching techniques), pole/stick (for hands-free dip-dying), sewing kit or machine if you have one, and marker or pen. Feel free to add to the list with studs, fabric, and anything you can think of to make your project even better!

My DIY outfit! Cut-off shorts, distressed and dip-dyed with bleach (thrifted Bongo jeans), and Wolverine high-low cropped tank (Size large, $1 t-shirt at 5 Below).
Try to DIY this summer! It's fun, saves money, and will bring something completely unique to your wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment